Tuesday, December 02, 2008

December Forecast

It's the beginning of December, and I already think I know what's going to go down for the rest of the month... For starters, this is the last week of classes and then there is exam week. I basically have something due every day for this week, so that means every night is going to be spent at the computer, working on papers and projects that should have been started a long time ago. Plus, being the super-involved student that I am, I have to attend a lot of trite holiday parties and get-togethers even though I'm so busy. Hopefully they'll serve as a reprieve, but usually they just add to the stress.

But this week happens every year, and to everyone. I'll get through it, turn in all my stuff, take all my final tests, and be done with it. I really can't wait. However, I'll then be stuck on campus on RA duty until December 20th. Most of the people I know will be leaving to go home for the holidays around December 12th, so that means I'll be pretty much on my own for over a week. Sure, there will still be some people around, but I'm not good at taking initiative with starting social interactions. And I'm kind of stuck right now between looking forward to the down time (I will have plenty of time to read and write), and dreading the boredom and loneliness that I'm bound to deal with.

But then I will get to go home for Christmas, so I know the end of the month will be awesome. It's just looking at the stress and then boredom of the next few weeks that gets me worried. I don't know how much I'll write in the blog this current week (because, well, I'll be writing plenty of other things). But I will surely blog after exam week when I'm here by myself. I think I'll need this place to unload, and who knows, maybe it will end up being a rather blessed month for me. I just have to keep Matthew 6 in mind (as always).

Oh, and I realize this is random, but another good thing about the next few weeks is that Survivor: Gabon is wrapping up. I've been watching this show since it first aired in 2000 (wow, that's been awhile), and I'm still a huge fan. The previous two seasons were a bit disappointing to me but this one has been epic, and I think it's a combination of improved casting and a stellar location. The intro is below so you can see what I'm talking about. I know, I'm a reality show nerd. It's one of my few hobbies. That, and enjoying a wide variety of music, a new playlist of which is in the sidebar. :) Take care, everyone!

10 comments:

naturgesetz said...

I suppose you can do some Christmas shopping during your extra week at school. I'll be looking forward to whatever you decide to post.

When I was in college, our first semester ended in late January, with finals in the middle of the month. So we'd get back from Christmas for a week or so of classes and a few study days. Christmas vacation turned into a time to work on term papers.

Brady said...

Good luck on finals, Jay. Hey- did you ever watch The Mole? It was my favorite competition-type reality show, especially the first seasons with Anderson Cooper. Who knew a show like The Mole could launch a career like that??

Brandon said...

I agree about Survivor. This season has been awesome. One of the best for sure. I think my favorite was Survivor: China. Although the Outback season wasn't too bad either. Actually, I've liked most of the seasons, come to think of it. There's maybe only been a couple or so that I didn't.

And oh, don't worry about having to stay at school. The time will pass sooner than you know and then you'll be right back in the mix of it all next semester, working like crazy, staying up well past midnight just to get done all the crazy homework, and all the other fun stuff like that. Just enjoy the peaceful quiet time.

God bless.

otrolado said...

Hmmm...I am not so sure about that Boomkat song. However, Nickel Creek reveals you do have excellent taste in music at least some times! Haha.

Ophir said...

Yes, you have very strange taste in music, but I agree with otrolado - Nickel Creek is an excellent choice. I have their first and third albums, but not the second which this song is from.

Oh, and Fall Out Boy suck! ;)

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I'm basically done for the semester as well, which is good because I am behind on my teaching stuff. Grading, lesson plans etc...

otrolado said...

Orphir,

So, I know this is drifting but it is too funny to pass up.

I own Nickel Creek albums 2&3, you own 1&3, and Jay owns 1&2. We need to combine collections or something! I just found this amusing.

Ophir said...

otrolado, hah, that is amusing - but how do you know what albums Jay owns?

Also, I'm sure it was a typo - but I'm Ophir, not Orphir. One's an ancient land famous for its wealth, the other is some hamlet on some God-forsaken island in the North Sea. No one really knows where Ophir was but Solomon's ships would have almost certainly had to have sailed south or southeast to get there; in other words, it was on an other side of Israel from where the Orkney Islands are.

;)

Jay said...

Otrolado & Ophir: I've talked to both of you in e-mails and IM, so that's why Otrolado knows about what Nickel Creek albums I own. Also, nice to hear your name history, Ophir! :)

otrolado said...

Yes, that was very interesting Ophir!