Saturday, November 10, 2007

Slow To Anger

I was bumming around the blogosphere the other day and somehow followed a blogging trail from Randy Thomas to La Shawn Barber to Pam's House Blend to Joe. My. God. to this piece of indecency from MassResistance. I had intended to write a piece about the article, but I realized that neither my stomach or heart could take thinking about it for too long. I suggest you take a look at MassResistance so you can get a feel of what real hatred looks like. I can't understand how anyone could tolerate that kind of slander and vitriol, and I hope that any ex-gay organization with ties to MassResistance will cut ties with them. They do not treat homosexuals with dignity and respect in any way, and they do not need to be supported (least of all by Christians).

Anyway, like I said I'm not going to spend a long post dwelling on them. I get too angry when faced with injustice and hatred. I can deal with people who disagree. That's nothing, and it's healthy to debate with those who disagree. But some people are just so disrespectful and un-Christian that all I want to do is scream at them. Then I remember that my God is "compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love." (Psalm 103:8, NIV) I really want to be like Him, and I want to know when "angry" is "too angry." There are plenty of things to be angry about with groups like MassResistance, but I can't make their mistake and treat my opponents like sub-humans. These people have families, jobs, homes, and they do think what they are doing is right. So even though their words disgust me, I can't forget that God loves them as well. They deserve the dignity that they refuse to show.

Turning the other cheek is really harder than I thought. Have a good day, everyone.

No comments: