Friday, October 05, 2007

Coffee, A Movie And Fall Break

So... I'm packing up and getting ready to leave for Fall Break. Yeah, I can't believe it either. It's actually Fall Break already! The semester is really going by too quickly for me. Next thing you know I'm going to be out of college and working. But let us not speak of such things now...

I'm really looking forward to Fall Break. I'm heading to Virginia with my folks, and we're going to visit my cousins, who I haven't seen in a while. I'm really looking forward to this opportunity to just hang out with my family, which I haven't had a chance to do in what seems like forever.

But that's not really the reason I hit "Create New Post" today, and I'm beating around the bush a bit. :) It seems that yesterday an acquaintance of mine--a popular, attractive, and recently single gay guy--contacted me out of the blue and asked if I wanted to go get coffee with him and catch a movie next Friday. Without really thinking, I said "yes." I mean, I figured that it was just coffee and a movie. No big deal. Then I remembered that he was gay... and that I was gay... and that we had never even really hung out in a group before, let alone spent time by ourselves... and he was single... and I said "yes" even though I don't drink coffee.

Crap, I'm going on a date. Kinda. I mean, he didn't say date but that's what it feels like to me, and of course that makes me a little anxious. I've never really been on a real date with a girl, let alone a guy. I've certainly never spent one-on-one time with a non-Christian, single gay man. So while this might not be a date to him (and I'm hoping it isn't), it feels like a date to me. And I'm totally anxious and excited at the same time. I thought a lot of the anxiety might be because of my religious beliefs and the obvious hindrance that they would (rightly) put on "normal" dating. Then some friends (straight, struggling, and gay alike) reminded me that everyone gets nervous before a date, so maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Actually, I'm sure I am. It's just coffee and a movie with a funny, smart, and good-looking company. I'm hoping to get a good friend out of this and that's it. Still, I am already thinking about what I should wear... :) I hope that your weekends are wonderful. I'll leave you with this totally awesome song: "Wine Red" by The Hush Sound. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Brian said...

I get anxious/nervous before maybe-dates as well. Even if I'm going out with another Christian gay guy (which, I'm realizing more and more so is actually important. Guess those Sunday school teachers were on to something...)

In any event, have fun with your family and your new friend

Brady said...

I haven't really been on a date before either. That's what happens when you marry the first guy you connect with.

I'd be nervous if I were in your shoes too. Not because I think it's a date, but just because of the unknown. It's a good nervous, though. I'm sure yall will have fun.

Oh, does he even know you're gay? If not, it's definitely just a get to know you thing...

Either way, have fun!

kurt_t said...

A word of advice. Eat a Napolean. If you eat a Napolean during a date, it has no calories. Scientifically proven fact.

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool! A date! Let us know how it went...

kurt_t said...

Wait. Wait. I mean to say Napoleon, not NapoLEAN.

I'm not sure where I got NapoLEAN from. That must be like a diet version of a Napoleon or something.

Which I think we can all agree is anathema to any right thinking person.

The said...

Man,

Just be the cool Christian Jay I know! YOU WILL BE JUST FINE!

There is nothing in this that is worth your attention, unless.....you truly are worried of stumbling. (I said unless).

Sometimes, it is good just to enjoy what is THERE and stop thinking of that which isn't there (yet)! Our anxiety could fool us. Who knows that guy wants to have a private conversation about Christianity, for example???

So, GET OUT THERE! Have a nice coffee, enjoy the film innocently and being filled with brotherly love!

Says the Beast, (not the one in Revelation! LOL)

Norm! said...

I was also in denial when I was asked to go out on my first dinner date. I was so oblivious to the idea that I turned around and asked another friend to also join us for dinner. Fortunately my friend clued me in and whispered, "You idiot, he's asking you out on a date." I even argued with my friend that it wasn't a date.

Unfortunately, I became a nervous wreck when I realized it was a date. It didn't help that I still felt so guilt-ridden about being gay and ran into ex-gay leaders while on the date. The guy was very considerate thoughout though.

Joe said...

Enjoy your date! :)

Jay said...

Well, thanks for all the support guys (and girls, depending on who Anonymous is ;-) We'll see what happens, and I'll make sure to give the details when it's over.

...Not that I'm planning on there to be any particularly juicy details. ;-)