Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dreams And Ambition

As I sit here at the front desk of my dorm, procrastinating my butt off (I should be working on a final project for an EDN class...but I'm not), a lot of very random thoughts cross my mind. Since I'm so resigned to not work on anything important, I thought I'd at least work on the blog. So, here goes.

I was thinking about the concepts of ambition and dreams, and how the two interact. I see ambition as something hard and concrete, while dreams are much less corporeal. Dreams are the desired "end product," while ambition entails everything else (i.e. the hard work, the connections, and the talent involved to make dreams come true). You can have dreams without ambition (though that would usually doom them to failure), but you can't have ambition without dreams.

I thought what my life would be like if all my dreams came true. I know this may sound silly, but I actually wrote my own fake Wikipedia article about myself. I set it seven years down the road and wrote about the the things I had "done" between now and 2014. I don't know about you, but I love Wikipedia. I can spend hours just reading through random articles. It's especially funny when people I somewhat know (like the chancellor of my college) have their own articles on there. So I pretty much started my own article. Here's a small, edited excerpt:

"Jay (born 1988 in North Carolina) is an American musician, writer, actor, model, blogger, and social critic. He is known for his multiple talents, outspoken style, and humanitarian work. He has won the Newberry Medal for his 2009 novel Whaler and was nominated for an Emmy in 2010 for his guest appearance on House."

Yeah, I know. Far-fetched (at least time-wise). But it's really just fun to cut loose and dream sometimes. I went so far as to imagine the future "controversies" that my conservative religious stances, not to mention my sexuality views, would cause me should I ever become famous like I want to be. So I suppose I'm still a realist when I dream, but that's okay with me. What hit was the fact that when it came to "Personal Life," I had no dreams. That, I feel, is up to God no matter what else happens.

So, it seems very likely that I have delusions of grandeur. There is ambition attached to some of these (such as writing, and possibly even being famous, since that can happen because of writing), but the rest of these dreams kind of hinge on my being "discovered." Hey, it could happen, though I doubt it. Either way, it's fun to think about when you're bored. What are (or were) some of your most far-fetched dreams? Don't be shy. I want to hear them!

No comments: