Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dreams And Ambition

As I sit here at the front desk of my dorm, procrastinating my butt off (I should be working on a final project for an EDN class...but I'm not), a lot of very random thoughts cross my mind. Since I'm so resigned to not work on anything important, I thought I'd at least work on the blog. So, here goes.

I was thinking about the concepts of ambition and dreams, and how the two interact. I see ambition as something hard and concrete, while dreams are much less corporeal. Dreams are the desired "end product," while ambition entails everything else (i.e. the hard work, the connections, and the talent involved to make dreams come true). You can have dreams without ambition (though that would usually doom them to failure), but you can't have ambition without dreams.

I thought what my life would be like if all my dreams came true. I know this may sound silly, but I actually wrote my own fake Wikipedia article about myself. I set it seven years down the road and wrote about the the things I had "done" between now and 2014. I don't know about you, but I love Wikipedia. I can spend hours just reading through random articles. It's especially funny when people I somewhat know (like the chancellor of my college) have their own articles on there. So I pretty much started my own article. Here's a small, edited excerpt:

"Jay (born 1988 in North Carolina) is an American musician, writer, actor, model, blogger, and social critic. He is known for his multiple talents, outspoken style, and humanitarian work. He has won the Newberry Medal for his 2009 novel Whaler and was nominated for an Emmy in 2010 for his guest appearance on House."

Yeah, I know. Far-fetched (at least time-wise). But it's really just fun to cut loose and dream sometimes. I went so far as to imagine the future "controversies" that my conservative religious stances, not to mention my sexuality views, would cause me should I ever become famous like I want to be. So I suppose I'm still a realist when I dream, but that's okay with me. What hit was the fact that when it came to "Personal Life," I had no dreams. That, I feel, is up to God no matter what else happens.

So, it seems very likely that I have delusions of grandeur. There is ambition attached to some of these (such as writing, and possibly even being famous, since that can happen because of writing), but the rest of these dreams kind of hinge on my being "discovered." Hey, it could happen, though I doubt it. Either way, it's fun to think about when you're bored. What are (or were) some of your most far-fetched dreams? Don't be shy. I want to hear them!

8 comments:

David said...

Writing. Lots of writing, and getting some of my most treasured stories into a distilled and palatable form, and then gaining some sort of recognition from it - such that people were actually touched by what I'd written. There is fame and everything that goes along with it, but that has been a longstanding far-fetched dream. There are others, like leaving this place for somewhere overseas, either in perpetual partial contact or constant living there, and doing something a bit more real in the world outside America. But writing is definitely the biggie. (I'd say marriage too, particularly as I'm okay with it now, but that's not something I can really force to happen and perhaps we shouldn't get into that all. :p)

Pomoprophet said...

You've just given me a great idea for Bible class. I think i'll have my students write their own Wiki entries looking back on their lives in 10 years. What would they want to be remembered by? And maybe even have my history students write an entry about someone we're studying in this current chapter. Thanks Jay!

As for my dream, I'd love to be President someday. If that doesnt work out, then many just coach a NCAA Div I football team to the national championship. :)

Jay said...

David: Writing's big on mine too. It's just that it's been so long since I've written anything of worth! The blog's all well and good, but I think it's pretty easy to see that I don't spend a lot of time making my essays too spectacular.

Pomoprophet: Great idea! Glad I could help you do that. It's funny how Wikipedia has become the go-to source, even though it's user-made. I like your dreams, too. "Pomo for President!" It has a nice ring to it. =)

grace said...

Jay,
This is so weird...but on my Bloglines a post came up from last Oct. title "How to Lose a Life"....and I only discovered it was on old post after reading it and finally figuring out this post was your most recent. But...they really go together.....because all this stuff you've written here...this is all the stuff you must be at least willing to lose to save your life. You may or may not be called to lose any of this...but...you have to be willing.

I think, for me, I would like to just be remembered as:

Pam Ferguson (born 1963 in Oklahoma) is a follower of Christ who's known for finding contentment and discovering joy in whatever situation she happens to find herself.

Mine is seasoned with some age and yucky life experiences. It would have looked alot like yours when I was your age. And there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that! :)

love ya!
pam

Jay said...

Hey Pam,

I can only assume that the reason the "How to Lose a Life" post came up is because I edited it (and a few other early posts) today. For some reason the switch to Blogger Beta put them in single space instead of double, and my perfectionism just couldn't handle that. :)

I understand what you're saying. I really, really do. Sometimes I worry that I won't be happy unless my name is up in lights, and I'm just starting to get the notion that that attitude is unhealthy. I want to be where God can use me best, and I would trade all the fame in the world to be there.

Thanks for showing me that. You're an amazing woman, and I can't wait to read more of your series at XGW.

Brandon said...

Jay,

Perhaps my biggest dream would have to deal with writing something spectacularly great. And then being able to make some money and/or recognition from it. I'd settle, however, for being able to finally reach a point where I know clear cut what God wants of me in all things. I may just not be listening hard enough.

Thanks for posting on my blog by the way. I appreciated the advice.

Here's to dreaming big dreams. Let's hope at least some of them become realities :)

MR said...

My dream is for there to be people worshipping God in heaven, people who are there because of God at work through my life. That is a big dream because I can't change people's hearts on my own. I seek to show God's love, share the Truth, and trust God for the results.

Jay said...

Brandon: It seems we're going to have a lot of future bestsellers on our hands here... :)

MR: Hey now, I was asking for your most far-fetched dream. I'm sure you helping bring people closer to Christ is already a reality. Take care.