Friday, September 26, 2008

Spiritual Hunger

Hey guys! Sorry it took me so long to update this thing after I got back from my fall retreat at camp. This week has been super busy. I mean, more busy than I could have ever imagined it to be. I'm used to having lots of things to do, but somehow a bunch of deadlines, papers, and other little odds-and-ends just sprung up on me over the past week, and I've been a little overwhelmed.

More than overwhelmed, I've been feeling a sense of spiritual hunger unlike I've ever felt before. It's probably because I went from the awesomeness of the retreat (where, by the way, I didn't have a chance to talk about my SSA issues with anyone, but I did open up about other things) to the humdrum of my bustling everyday life. This past weekend, I had an amazing chance to spend time alone with God. I was in the middle of a beautiful camp, with several lakes and ponds and a forest all around. There was plenty of free time where I could just sit alone, get into God's Word, and reflect on my relationship with Him.

But then I started my week at school again. I've hardly had any of that kind of alone time. Sure, I've spent the few minutes I can each day continuing to read through the New Testament (which was my goal this semester). But I haven't really found the time or location to really spend time with God. I know that sounds strange, because supposedly God is everywhere, but I have a hard time focusing when I'm in my apartment, surrounded by books full of assignments that I need to get done, or a computer full of e-mails that I need to reply to.

I'm really just hoping for some time to fulfill my spiritual hunger. I want to know more, build my faith, and work on actually using my faith to do some good. It's just really hard when I'm so involved on campus and have a billion different other things coming my way. I need to learn to prioritize, I guess, but I also need to learn to say "no" to different things. I can only be so involved and I need to make sure that the development of my faith is something that I place higher on my list.

Either way, that's what's going on right now. All in all I'm doing well. I'm staying busy and my semester is shaping up to be a good one. But if I don't spend the proper amount of time fueling my faith then I'll really be wasting a year, and I can't do that. Hope you all are well!

No comments: