Sunday, January 14, 2007

First Week Back


Hello all! Sorry for the blogging silence recently. This was my first week back in class, so I've been spending a lot of time wallowing in my bed crying over my various textbooks and course outlines for the new batch of classes I'm taking this semester. I believe most of the thoughts going through my head are along the lines of "Kill me know, God!" or "Why me?" And of course, this is before any of the actual work for the course has even started.

I'm looking forward to this semester though. I can't wait for my Bible study to start meeting again (awesome group of guys, BTW. There might be a more complete post on them later). I also can't wait to start going back to the Presbyterian church I've been going to (shh, don't tell my Methodist family ;) And of course I'm looking forward to my writing class. Maybe it will help my lagging creative juices get flowing again. If I write anything really good, I'll be sure to post it here. Because, you know, I'm just a show-off like that. ;)

One thing that I must comment on is the professorial eye candy at this college. Truly, it has to be stated. Simply put, I'm going to be mightily distracted during one of my science classes. My teacher (a graduate student) is the epitome of my type -- lanky, glasses, unkempt hair, no style, and a slight lisp. As he spoke of the basics of environmental ecology I found myself turning into a little schoolgirl. Sweet Molasses, this semester's going to be hard. =) And yes, after realizing the awful truth that I am, indeed, attracted to nerds (possibly a more troubling revelation than being attracted to guys), I have decided that I need to buy one or both of the t-shirts displayed here. Have a good day, guys! I'll have a more serious, thought-provoking post next time, I promise!

By the way, it was over 70 degrees here today. My friends all went to the beach, but I, alas, was working. I'll be there tomorrow, though, provided it doesn't rain.

9 comments:

Jon said...

College professors are a great fantasy, because they seem to have so much power, and also because they are a completely safe object of fantasy - 99.9999% of the time, you'll never really be anything more to them than a student and they won't know what you think about them.

On your other recent posts, don't let yourself get down because you think you should get married or start a family. I can't tell you how many times I've seen my relatives get married because they think they're supposed to, or have kids because they think that's the plan, and then they are miserable. Or how many times that someone wants their young adult child to "settle down", then end up being used as nothing more than a babysitter or an ATM machine, and resenting or disliking their new in-law and new grandchildren, viewing them as a burden, saying that they wish their child had stayed single.

Marriage and children are fine goals if someone is mentally healthy, has the right job, finds a wonderful partner and can settle down in a secure relationship. Unfortunately, much of the time this is not what happens, and that's because so many people think they "need" to settle down and reproduce, whether they actually want to or not.

kurt_t said...

I like "Talk nerdy to me." It's subtle. You don't want to look like you're trying too hard.

grace said...

70 degrees!!!! BRAGGER!

Robert said...

Yes, I have had my crushes on college profs and some academically gifted fellow students. Brains are very sexy (as is confidence). Enjoy the scenery. ;-D

Norm! said...

I had little crushes on professors, particularly the younger lab instructors. Confidence and knowledge are very attractive. In particular, I remember one physics lab instructor who had the cutest Canadian accent which made us all giggle (well, okay, maybe just me).

"Aboot", (hehehehe).

Unfortunately, the really nerdy math and science professors who wore the same set of clothes throughout an entire term pretty much killed my nerd facination.

Jay said...

Jon: Thanks for the advice, man.

Kurt: Yeah, that one's my favorite, too, though it's not like I'm actually trying, y'know (there are college rules against that kind of thing) ;)

Grace: You bet I am...

Robert: I will. I think I've found that a lot of people who, when it comes to any relationship that they perceive as long term, are brains-before-brawn kind of people.

Norm: Well, this guy has worn different clothes so far, so that's a plus. He hasn't shaved, though. That could count against him...

Jon said...

jay, I hope this doesn't sound pathetic, but I really like your cap. The one you have on in the photo in this thread, I mean. I think Daniel Vosovic on Project Runway 2 used to wear those. I never could wear one, so I appreciate those who can pull it off.

Tin Man said...

I always hated the first week of class in college. It all seemed so overwhelming to me. You get all of this infomation telling you all of the stuff you are going to have to do for the next few months and it all seems very overwhelming. Luckily, the feeling goes away after a couple of weeks of lectures, tests, projects, and papers. Good luck this semester! You will do just fine.

Jay said...

Jon: No, that doesn't sound pathetic. In fact, comparing me to Daniel Vosovic in any way, shape, or form is quite a compliment. :) Thanks.

Tin Man: Thanks for the encouragement, friend. :)